March 13, 2007

Herbert Lynn Young, 39, of Mount Pleasant died Friday, March 9, 2007, in Kenedy. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, March 15 at White Oak Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant with the Rev. Edward J. Young officiating. Interment will follow at Piney Cemetery under the direction of Tumey Mortuary. Pallbearers will be Clinton Lee, Ernest Lee, Mark Young, Demarcio D. Young, Donterrio Young and Doug Morgan. Honorary pallbearers are the deacons of the church. Mr. Young was born on Aug. 28, 1967, in Mount Pleasant, the son of Huey and Vernice (Brown) Young. He was a graduate of Mount Pleasant High School and a member of White Oak Baptist Church. He is survived by his mother, Vernice Young of Mount Pleasant; five brothers, Huey Young Jr. of Mount Pleasant, Edward J. Young of Garland, Thomas Floyd Young of Mount Pleasant, Michael Young of Rowlett and Ronnie Young of Bedford; three sisters, Wanda Joyce Simpson of Longview, Karen Young of Mount Pleasant, and Rebecca Morgan of Longview; and a host of nieces, nephews, aunt, uncles, cousins, and friends. He was preceded in death by his father, Huey Young Sr.; a brother, Larry Donnell Young; and a baby sister, Joanna Lynn Young. Mr. Young will lie in state at the funeral home from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Wednesday with the family visitation from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.


April 1, 2007

Obituary: Model A’s were more than hobby to Pegues

In 1965, James “Jim” Pegues bought his first Model A Ford from a farmer in the Karnes County town of Runge. The roadster cost him $30. He fixed it up and sold it, then bought a four-door sedan he restored to perfect condition. One year, he bought 11 Model A’s. Pegues was a charter member of the Alamo A’s, the Model A Ford Club of San Antonio. Grandson and namesake Jimmy Taylor is the current president. To say Pegues, who died Saturday at age 84 of cancer, was a Model A enthusiast is an understatement. “Jim drove one in high school and he just loved it,” his wife, Jeanette Pegues, said. “He’d always wanted one and after he bought the first one, it became a wonderful hobby for all of us.” Sometimes called “America’s favorite car,” the Model A replaced Henry Ford’s beloved Model T in 1927. The cars were produced until 1931, when the Model B was introduced. The Model A had a lot going for it: It had a top speed of 60 mph compared with the Model T’s 45 mph, larger wheels, four-wheel mechanical brakes, a Triplex shatter-proof windshield, and it came in different colors. Pegues’ hobby was taken up by his family. His wife drove the cars; so did his daughters. The family drove the cars all over the United States, totaling more than 100,000 miles. The Model A was far from his mind in 1939 when Pegues joined the Navy. He was asleep at the YMCA when Pearl Harbor was bombed on Dec. 7, 1941. “He said the message ‘We’re under attack’ came over loudspeakers with instructions to return to their ships,” Jeanette Pegues said. “Everybody was in their underwear trying to get a cab. He never made it back to his ship because it pulled out.” His best friend was killed. Pegues suffered shrapnel wounds on his legs. Later, he served on the staff of Admiral Chester Nimitz, the Fredericksburg native and commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet during the war. A background in photography got Pegues into the New York Institute of Photography after the war. He returned home, worked at a photography studio, then was hired at Southwestern Bell, where he remained for 25 years. Pegues had to travel because of his job and it gave him time to search for cars. “He’d call and say, ‘Guess what I found today,'” Jeanette Pegues said. “It was scary but so much fun.”



Born: June 11, 1922, in San Antonio
Died: March 31, 2007, in San Antonio
Military: U.S. Navy, 1939-1943
Survived by: His wife of 58 years, Jeanette Gittinger Pegues; three daughters, Deborah Taylor, of New Braunfels, and Sherry Westmoreland and Patty Nowak, both of San Antonio; a sister, Jeannette Pegues Dobson of Kerrville; seven grandchildren; and eight great- grandchildren. Services: Visitation from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. today at Mission Park Funeral Chapels North at 3401 Cherry Ridge Drive; service at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at Shepherd King Lutheran Church at 303 W. Ramsey Road, with interment in Mission Burial Park South. Memorials: In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to Vitas Hospice or to Shepherd King Lutheran Church.


From mysanantonio.com


Baseball: John “Ox” Miller (1915-2007)

Funeral services are scheduled for Friday in George West for former big-league pitcher John “Ox” Miller, who died Monday.
A visitation is scheduled for 5 p.m.-7 p.m. Thursday at the Galloway Funeral Home in George West, and a graveside service is set for 9 a.m. at the George West Cemetery. Miller, who was born in the South Texas crossroads of Gause on May 4, 1915, played professionally from 1937-53 and pitched in a total of 24 big-league games from 1943-47 for the Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns and Chicago Cubs. He also played for the Missions in 1947, going 11-8 with a 3.61 ERA. He earned his nickname after pitching back-to-back doubleheaders and winning all four games for Lincoln (Neb.) in the Western League in 1939. “One newspaper said that I was as strong as an ox, and the rival evening paper responded by saying I was as dumb as an ox for pitching and winning those four games,” Miller once said. Miller returned to South Texas after his professional career, working 34 years for the U.S. Postal Service. He retired in 1980. He managed semi-pro teams in Victoria, Sinton and Laredo, and for decades, he coached Babe Ruth League players in the Flax League, based in Kenedy. At one time, 21 of his former players were at either the college or professional level. Former big-league pitcher Jim Acker, University of the Incarnate Word pitching coach John Maley and Rodney Pedraza, who set the Japanese baseball record for saves by a non-Japanese player, were some of his protégés. “He never had any kids of his own, but he used to say that every one he coached was like one of his own,” said Pedraza, who lives in Cuero. Al LaMacchia, who roomed with Miller in St. Louis and in Toledo, Ohio, said Miller had a lively sense of humor. “He would sneak out of bed in the morning, go down to the lobby and then call and wake me up,” LaMacchia said. “He’d say ‘Get up, we’ve got to go fix the fences in north pasture!’ And he’d keep calling until I got up.” Miller is survived by Opal Miller, his wife of 67 years.


From wilsoncountynews.com

December 30, 2007

Alvin Joseph Hoffmann

•Feb. 4, 1924 – Dec. 29, 2007
•Husband of Florence M. Hoffmann of Hobson. Father to three sons; Pat and wife, Barbara Hoffmann of San Antonio, Don Hoffmann of San Antonio and Mark and Cynthia Hoffmann of Kerrville, Texas; and two daughters; Jane and husband Barry Cochran of San Antonio, Susan and David Kelley of Yoakum, one sister, Theresa Boening of Karnes City.
•Visitation begins Tuesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. at the St. Boniface Catholic Church in Hobson, Texas.
•Rosary will be at 7:00 p.m. from the
•Funeral Mass will be at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday morning at the
church. Rev. Gregory Sawicki will officiate. Burial will follow in the Hobson Cemetery.
•Services are under the direction of Rhodes Funeral Home, Karnes City, Texas. (800) 780-3334